Tuesday 6 October 2009

Customer Service - a tale of contrasts

First of all the story I am about to tell is true and happened to me today.

I've had a problem with my kitchen tap. It'd been leaking and I finally got around to trying to source a replacement washer and some advice this morning. Went to a shop local to myself that was recommended to me. The person serving could not have been more unhelpful. She couldn't be bothered to discuss my problem and when challenged simply recommended I look on the internet (funny owning an on-line business myself I'd never have thought of that!) her closing statement was that she wasn't a plumber and only sold the taps - well not to me she isn't. Even if she couldn't help she could have left me feeling at least like she was interested. This was ironic as at some point in the near future I may re-do my bathroom - I won't be going to that bathroom/kitchen/plumbing outlet now will I ?

Later the same day (about an hour ago in fact) a PW customer rang checking if we had an item in stock. Unfortunately we didn't. However, as this was an urgent birthday gift I have sourced him a couple of alternatives, tracked down tasting notes, emailed them across to him and also placed both items on the website. Lastly I just texted him to let him know the items are available if he would still like to order.

Sorry if this makes me sound 'big headed'. My point is simply this. As well as having my name over the door at Prestige Whisky I'm obviously a regular consumer myself and I require certain minimum standards or I walk - plain and simple.

I don't know if the PW client I spoke to today will buy from us or not - I hope he will but I don't necessarily expect him to.

However, and this is vital - he should expect the same high standard of support I tried to give him this afternoon every time he talks or interacts with my business and as long as my name is over the door - he will !

No comments:

Post a Comment